Table of Contents
- 1 Best Memory Foam Mattress Foundations in 2018
- 1.1 What Is The Best Foundation For A Memory Foam Mattress?
- 1.2 1. Best Memory Foam Foundation
- 1.3 2. Best Low Profile Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.4 3. Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress (Tufted)
- 1.5 4. Best Budget Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.6 5. Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress (Adjustable)
- 1.7 Memory Foam Mattress Foundation FAQs
- 1.8 1. What Is An Ideal Mattress Foundation For Memory Foam Mattresses?
- 1.9 2. Queen Foundations For Memory Foam Mattress - Considerations
- 1.10 3. Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress King Size - Considerations
To support Home & Garden Authority, we earn a commission if you purchase by clicking a link listed below at no additional cost to you. This doesn’t influence or sway our opinions in any way. We believe in complete transparency so you can make the most informed choices. Read more here.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Foundations in 2018
Editor’s Note: The best memory foam mattress foundation is Zinus’s 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with a Headboard on Amazon. It’s easy to assemble (requires no box spring) & comes with a beautiful wood headboard. It’s rustic pine finish and sturdy construction make this a beautiful headboard with a durable construction. Our favorite low profile option? Zinus’s 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring. Into upholstered materials? Take a look at Zinus’s beautiful Upholstered Scalloped Button Tufted Platform Bed. On a strict budget? Zinus’s minimalistic Sonoma on Amazon is competitively priced (and regularly goes on sale). Sold on the many benefits of an adjustable base? We are. Check out Pragma Bed’s Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame series on Amazon.
Last Price Update: 2019-03-20
What Is The Best Foundation For A Memory Foam Mattress?
The best foundations for a memory foam mattress not only have to look nice, but they need to be supportive. Without proper support, your memory foam mattress will lose longevity. Even worse, if you don’t have a good foundation to properly support your body, you’ll develop aches, pains, and other potential issues with your body that can easily be avoided.
We picked the 5 best memory foam foundations available (in our opinion) on Amazon in 2018. All 5 of our foundation picks are the best of the best in their respective categories.
The 5 Best Memory Foam Foundations Are:
- Best memory foam foundation – Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with Headboard, Rustic Pine Finish
- Best low profile foundation for memory foam – Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring
- Best upholstered foundation for memory foam – Zinus Upholstered Scalloped Button Tufted Platform Bed
- Best budget foundation for memory foam – Zinus Sonoma Metal & Wood Platform Bed
- Best adjustable foundation for memory foam – Pragma Bed Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame, Head and Foot
3 Things You Must Avoid While Choosing The Best Memory Foam Foundation:
- Steel grid wire-frame foundations – Steel grid wire-frame foundations aren’t sturdy enough to support heavy memory foam mattresses (in general). Steel wiring made from wire-frame foundations easily bend, break, warp, and lose shape over time (that’s why they’re priced so low). Are they good temporary solutions? They might be, but you probably don’t want to risk it with an expensive (or cheap) memory foam mattress.
- Foundations with slats spaced greater than 5-6 inches apart – Most sites recommend slats spaced less than 8-10″ apart. For us, that’s way too wide. Slats spaced more than 5-6″ apart for memory foam mattresses may not be supportive enough over time. If they aren’t, the wood slats will bend and eventually bow under the mattress weight. The one exception to this rule is steel slatted bases. Steel & metal slat bases are significantly more durable (in general) than their wood counterparts.
- Foundations with particle board wood – Particle board wood foundations must be avoided at all costs. Not only are these foundations not acceptable for memory foam mattresses, they’re not good for any mattress type – memory foam or otherwise.
1. Best Memory Foam Foundation
Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with Headboard, Rustic Pine Finish
Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with Headboard is the best foundation for memory foam mattresses in 2018. It’s not only gorgeous, it happens to be extremely durable. When it comes to memory foam mattress support, durability trumps all else – including aesthetics. Fortunately, Zinus’s 12″ Deluxe Wood Platform not only has amazing support, it looks beautiful too.
Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with Headboard Verdict:
Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with Headboard is the best foundation for a memory foam mattress we found in 2018. Why? A few reasons – the main one being it’s fantastic support & build quality. Very rarely do you come across a foundation for a memory foam mattress that ‘has it all‘. Zinus found a way to incorporate a ton of really awesome features in a great priced foundation. Beautiful finish, extremely durable, build with real wood designed to last 10+ years, and foam padded tape for noise reduction & non-slip (which really makes a difference over time). The best part? The foundation isn’t heavy (about 68 lbs fully assembled), making assembly quick and painless (shouldn’t take more than 1 person). Zinus launched their 12″ Deluxe Wood Platform Bed in 2017, and since then it has been a big success for them. We strongly recommend taking a look at some of their Amazon reviews from real customers (linked above).
Continue below for the top 5 things we enjoy most about Zinus’s 12″ Deluxe Wood Platform Bed with a Headboard!
5 Things That Make The Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed (with Headboard) Special:
- Easy assembly & no box spring required – Assembly for Zinus’s 12″ deluxe is really fast. Instructions are clear and simple, and it shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to finish. Zinus smartly packs all their foams with a plastic wrap so annoying foam powder doesn’t get everywhere.
- Beautiful 37″ high wood paneled headboard included – Zinus truly did an incredibly job with their Deluxe Wood headboard design. Not only is the headboard easy to assemble (since it’s one piece), it has a beautiful rustic design that will match any rustic home decor. The main headboard piece is one single attachment, with two end pieces (legs), and one lower piece that directly attaches to the rails & center support. Overall a huge favorite of Home & Garden Authority’s.
- Durable wood slat support perfect for memory foam – Zinus’s 12″ Deluxe Wood design is overall very well supportive for memory foam mattresses. The structural integrity is very obvious from the interior metal bracing in the combined with 3-legged center support (which is rarely found in wood platform foundations). Our favorite part? It’s durable steel center support design with a long center beam extending the entire vertical length of the bed foundation (attached directly to the headboard & foot). Support more than accommodates memory foam mattresses, and Zinus stands behind their design with a worry-free 5-year warranty.
- Foam tape for noise & slide reduction – Zinus does a lot of small things right with their 12″ Deluxe Wood Foundation, and noise & slide reduction is one of them. Zinus added foam padded tape directly to the steel frame. This means noise is virtually eliminated, and the mattress will slide much less (if at all). Note: since the mattress doesn’t sit inside the foundation slats (but right on top), this means the mattress can sometimes slide if you move the entire foundation. For most people, this is not an issue in any way.
- Natural Rustic Pine finished wood frame – It’s hard to explain how nice Zinus’s natural rustic wood pine finish is without actually seeing it in person. Part of the reason why is the natural rustic pine reflects so well off natural bedroom light. Even if you don’t have a themed rustic (or natural) look in your bedroom, it’s neutral-warm brown color match most other color combinations. The natural rustic pine finish is one of the main reasons why Zinus’s 12″ Deluxe Wood platform bed made our Editor’s Pick.
2. Best Low Profile Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring easily makes our list as the best low profile foundation for a memory foam mattress in 2018. Why? The main reason is it’s low-profile and bi-fold capability. Not only is it a lower height (to accommodate taller memory foam mattresses), it also doesn’t lose it’s support. Even more, it folds. It’s bi-fold capability makes it extremely convenient for not only moving from room-to-room, but assembly too (hint: there is no assembly).
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring Verdict:
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring is the best low profile foundation for a memory foam mattress in 2018. It’s bi-folding capability & compression make it easy to move and store. It’s wrapped in a soft cotton-zippered cover. Compared to platform foundations and other bulky memory foam mattress foundations, Zinus’s 4″ low profile bi-fold option is among the most convenient. It’s design hearkens back to a more traditional box spring look, but without the springs. If you have a higher memory foam mattress and need a shorter profile support, the Zinus 4″ low profile foundation is one of your best options (especially for the price) in 2018.
5 Things That Make The Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring Special:
- Folding capability for easy storage & mobility – Zinus’s folding box spring make this infinitely easier for storing and moving. Most people in a move or room-switch with non-fold box springs throw them out and buy new foundations. Not with Zinus’s 4″ folding foundation. It’s about half the size of a normal box spring, making it infinitely easier to maneuver, store, and move.
- No assembly required – Assembly is nonexistent. It’s as easy as unboxing the foundation, allowing it to unfold into it’s full 4″ frame, and locking the steel frame into place. There’s nothing else to do. No bulky materials, no inconvenient assembly tools or hard-to-read instructions. Easily our favorite memory foam foundation if pure-convenience is what you’re after.
- Short height make it convenient for taller memory foam mattresses (12-14+ inches) – Zinus’s 4″ low profile foundation is easily the most convenient option for someone that knows they need an additional 4″ of support for their memory foam mattress. We always recommend measuring your existing bed setup to make sure it can accommodate a 4″ foundation like Zinus’s. Since it’s about 1/2 the height of a normal box-spring foundation, you’ll really notice the improvement and ease of getting in an out of bed. If you have achy joints, bad knees, a bad lower back, or sore pain points, we strongly recommend taking a look at Zinus’s 4″ low profile foundation (even if you don’t have a memory foam mattress). The best part? You won’t need a ladder to climb into bed.
- Strong steel structure built for durability – Zinus’s 4″ bi-fold structure is extremely durable and well-built. Don’t be fooled by it’s folding nature. It’s folding capability doesn’t make it any less sturdy. It’s built to last 5-10+ years, and it shows. Once the steel frame unfolds and locks into place, it isn’t going anywhere. It’s design is incredibly effective for very tall, premium memory foam mattress.
- 5-year warranty -Zinus’s 4″ bi-fold foundation comes with Zinus’s simple 5-year warranty. This is a good standard Zinus upholds for most of their platform and box foundations. Most other foundations in this space rarely have warranties that last longer than 1+ years, so we’re happy to see Zinus stand behind their build quality.
3. Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress (Tufted)
Zinus Upholstered Scalloped Button Tufted Platform Bed is the best upholstered & tufted memory foam foundation in 2018. Its beautiful button design and sturdy slat construction make it an elegant and smart foundation choice. The end result? It looks and performs beautifully. If you have a premium memory foam mattress (or any mattress style), Zinus’s upholstered scallop buttoned platform bed is worth a serious look.
Zinus Upholstered Scalloped Button Tufted Platform Bed Verdict:
Zinus Upholstered Scalloped Button Tufted Platform Bed is the best (and our favorite) upholstered memory foam foundation in 2018. It’s durable build quality and neutral gray design not only make it a smart foundation choice for memory foam beds, but a visually appealing one too. It ships and arrives in an intelligently packed box with each piece placed in separate zippered compartments behind the headboard.
Assembly shouldn’t take more than 60-75 minutes with 2 people (75-90 minutes if you’re alone). The end result once you’re finished is a scalloped-style headboard and low profile foot-board. It comes with wood slats and exposed support feet – easily accommodating premium memory foam styles. The neutral grey matches most bedroom decor styles well. Zinus has an entire line of beautifully built foundation and platform bed systems sold direclty on Amazon; their upholstered scalloped-button tufted platform bed is no different.
5 Things That Make The Zinus Upholstered Scalloped Button Tufted Platform Bed Special:
- Simple shipping & easy assembly – Shipping is simple and fast on Amazon, and assembly is almost too easy. The box arrives with all packing materials zippered behind the headboard itself. All appropriate screws and bolts are provided by Zinus. Assembly on average should take no longer than 45 minutes. Even if it does, there’s no individual heavy pieces to make this a difficult process (unlike many other headboards with this design style).
- Gorgeous scalloped button tufted headboard design – Zinus’s headboard design is gorgeous. The headboard height sits a little lower than expected. Make sure your memory foam mattress is less than 12″. Anything greater than a 12″ mattress & you risk covering too much headboard space (unless that doesn’t bother you). If it does, check #2 on our list for a lower profile alternative.
- Well made & sturdy low profile slat support system – There’s no need to combine a box spring or other support system with Zinus’s platform bed foundation. It’s specifically designed for premium memory foam mattresses. The slats themselves are connected with velcro to fasten them together. This allows a uniform weight distribution that really makes a small (but important) support difference we don’t often see in these style bed foundations (even from Ikea). Sturdy slats spaced less than 6″ apart make it an intelligently designed structure built to last 10+ years with normal use.
- Price-to-value is best-in-class – Price to value for Zinus’s scalloped button tufted foundation is second to none. If you bought a similarly built platform foundation in a retail location, don’t expect to pay any less than $1000. It’s really that good.
- Neutral grey matches most decors – Neutral gray is our favorite bedroom decor color for a lot of reasons. The subtlety of neutral gray is understated in most home decors (bedroom included). The result? It’s often overlooked. If you’re like any of the several hundreds reviewers that rave about such a beautifully colored headboard, you’ll like it just as much as we do.
4. Best Budget Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress
Zinus Sonoma Metal & Wood Platform Bed
Zinus Sonoma Metal & Wood Platform Bed is the best budget platform foundation for a memory foam mattress in 2018. 12″ of underbed storage, sturdy slats spaced 2″ apart, 7 legs of overall support, and a big, tall & beautiful rustic-design headboard. There’s not much more you can ask for from a foundation priced so well. Zinus manages to fit a lot of foundation in one small price tag. The Sonoma is worth a serious look.
Zinus Sonoma Metal & Wood Platform Bed Verdict:
Zinus Sonoma Metal & Wood Platform Bed is the best budget foundation for a memory foam mattress in 2018. Not only is it competitively priced, it doesn’t sacrifice in many areas. It’s minimalist design and rustic styling make it perfect for any bedroom decor. Our favorite part? It’s underbed storage, sporting a full 12″ of clearance. It’s 7 sturdy support legs and closely spaced horizontal slat design make it perfect for premium, heavy memory foam mattresses.
5 Things That Make The Zinus Sonoma Metal & Wood Platform Bed Special:
- Underbed storage – Zinus’s Sonoma metal & wood platform bed foundation offers up to 12″ of underbed storage space. Unlike other options on our top 5 memory foam foundation list, Zinus’s Sonoma is the only one with such good storage space. Part of that means less material cost, and overall less money. It’s a win-win for most people on a budget or in small apartments looking to squeeze any additional space they can.
- Rustic style + minimalist design – Zinus Sonoma’s rustic design and minimalist 7-leg frame structure make for a nice accented piece to any bedroom decor style. The headboard uses real pine wood in a light-tan color and unfinished-wood streaks for added styling.
- Real pine wood headboard – The Sonoma headboard is built and feels like a premium headboard because it is. Zinus uses the real stuff – real pine wood that sits high enough so taller mattresses don’t visually drown it out. If you have (or are planning to get) a memory foam mattress (or any style), you’ll actually get to see your headboard with the Sonoma (something important for us).
- Durable slat design – Sonoma’s slats measure 3/8-1/2 inch thick spaced 1-2 inches apart. The slat spacing is one of our favorite features of the platform foundation. Why? Because even though we picked this as our budget option, they didn’t sacrifice in the most important area – support. Zinus does an amazing job sending replacement slats out if any get damaged in transit. One of our favorite aspects of the Sonoma’s slats is the sticky velcro tape placed on the slats to keep the mattress from shifting over time (it really works).
- 5-year warranty – Zinus stands behind all their platform foundations with their standard 5-year worry-free warranty. This warranty has no real strings attached, and Zinus has good overall customer service. We’ve been relatively impressed by their responsiveness not only on Amazon, but on their website too.
5. Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress (Adjustable)
Pragma Bed Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame, Head and Foot
Pragma Bed Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame, Head and Foot is the best adjustable bed foundation for memory foam mattresses in 2018. Head and foot adjustments, sturdy weight capacity, and easy blood flow improvements make this a fantastic value. The best part? Price. This is competitively priced vs more feature-rich adjustable beds. A serious value worth a real look.
Pragma Bed Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame, Head and Foot Verdict:
Pragma Bed Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame, Head and Foot is the best adjustable bed base foundation for a memory foam mattress in 2018. Adjustable bed foundations give genuine body benefits worth a serious look. Pressure relief, blood-flow improvements, hip, shoulder, and lower back relief; the science is fairly conclusive – genuine improvements can come from using an adjustable bed. More specifically, elevating your head & foot at different angles can have a real impact on your body. The Pragmatic does exactly that. Head & foot adjustments allow you to customize height for both ends of your body.
A durable steel frame, capped feet, and support up to 1600 lbs make the Pragma Bed foundation perfect for memory foam mattress support. Our favorite part? Its good price point. Most adjustable beds with these features run close to $1500+. Pragma doesn’t have a lot of the bells and whistles those beds might have, but they’re just that – niceties. Spending another $1000 on an adjustable bed gets you an under bed light, a remove, and wireless remote, and a few other bells and whistles. Most people don’t need that, especially to reap all the benefits of head & foot elevation.
5 Things That Make The Pragma Bed Pragmatic Adjustable Bed Frame, Head and Foot Special:
- Complete head and foot adjustment (full range of positions) – Having the option to elevate your head and feet makes a huge difference for improving bloodflow. Even though Pragma’s Pragmatic isn’t a wall-hugging adjustable bed, it still does all the most important things you’d expect from an adjustable foundation for a memory foam mattresses.
- Steel frame & neutral gray finish – Steel frames would usually be an issue for memory foam mattresses, but the Pragmatic is a little different. The steel used is a lot more durable and closely spaced, so support is still extremely good.
- Supports up to 1600 lbs (Twin, Twin XL) and 3200 lbs (Full, Queen, King) – Weight support comes with the durable design. No one will ever come close to these weight limits, so you can expect at least 10-15 years of normal use from the Pragmatic.
- Convenient foldable design – One of our favorite features of the Pragma is it’s ability to fold. This folding features makes moving and storage extremely convenient and easy.
- Quiet motor – A quiet motor makes all the difference in the world on an adjustable bed. Pragma’s motor is not only extremely quiet, but effective, simple, and light.
Memory Foam Mattress Foundation FAQs
Below we answer a few important questions about foundations and memory foam mattresses.
1. What Is An Ideal Mattress Foundation For Memory Foam Mattresses?
The ideal mattress foundation support for memory foam needs a few things. They include:
- Sturdy slat support spaced less than 6-7″ apart – Anything greater in width and you risk losing support and ultimately having unnecessary (and easily avoidable) body aches & pains.
- Good construction and durable materials – Wood & steel are fantastic materials for memory foam foundations. The problem? A lot of ‘wood’ foundations actually use particle board. Avoid this at all costs! Particle board is not only real wood, it breaks down quickly, is susceptible to mold & decay, and much more.
- Warranty – Don’t settle for a foundation with no warranty. Minimum 5-years is what we recommend looking for.
- Weight – Weight support is important. Don’t buy a memory foam foundation unless it’s weight support is greater than both you and your partner combined + 200 lbs.
- Accessibility – Accessibility & versatility is important. Look for foundations with bi-fold features or any foldable design. Support is usually not sacrificed, and ease + convenience pays off in the long-run.
- Dimensions – Make sure dimensions fit the aesthetic of your room. The last thing you want is a foundation that’s too high or too low. Measure your existing setup, and xyz.
2. Queen Foundations For Memory Foam Mattress - Considerations
Queen sizes are different than other sizes below it (Full & Twin). Why? The dimensions of a Queen mattress mean support becomes more important. The wider the dimensions become, the more crucial center support is. This is especially true with foundations for memory foam mattresses (since memory foam tends to be heavier).
The result? You must find a Queen foundation that’s sturdy, durable, and built with quality materials.
3. Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress King Size - Considerations
Like Queen sizes, King size memory foam mattresses other sizes
Why? The dimensions of a King mattress mean support becomes the most important aspect of your mattress. The wider the dimensions become, the more crucial center support is (with Kings being the widest mattress types in the U.S.). This is especially true with foundations for memory foam mattresses (since memory foam tends to be heavy & more sturdy).
The result? You must find a King foundation that has proper center support.