Table of Contents
- 1 Best Thin Low Profile Box Springs (by size & height)
- 1.1 Best Low Profile Box Spring By Height
- 1.2 1. Best Thin Low Profile 2 Inch Box Spring
- 1.3 Continental Sleep Fully Assembled 2 Inch Foundation Bunkie Board
- 1.4 2. Best Thin Low Profile 3 Inch Box Spring
- 1.5 Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Quick Lock Smart Box Spring
- 1.6 3. Best Thin Low Profile 4 Inch Box Spring
- 1.7 Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats
- 1.8 4. Best Thin Low Profile 5 Inch Box Spring
- 1.9 Zinus 5 Inch Low Profile Smart Box Spring
- 1.10 5. Best Thin Low Profile 6 Inch Box Spring
- 1.11 Zinus Modern Studio 6 Inch Platforma Low Profile Boxspring Optional
- 1.12 Size
- 1.13 Best Low Profile Box Spring - By Size
- 1.14 6. Best Thin Low Profile Twin Box Spring
- 1.15 Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats, Twin
- 1.16 7. Best Thin Low Profile Box Spring
- 1.17 Zinus 5 Inch Low Profile Smart Box Spring, Full
- 1.18 8. Best Thin Low Profile Queen Box Spring
- 1.19 Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats, Queen
- 1.20 9. Best Thin Low Profile Split Queen Box Spring
- 1.21 Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring, Queen
- 1.22 10. Best Thin Low Profile Box Spring King
- 1.23 Zinus 5 Inch Low Profile Smart Box Spring, King
- 1.24 FAQs
- 1.25 Low Profile Box Spring Questions
- 1.26 1. What is a low profile box spring ?
- 1.27 2. What is the best low profile box spring height ?
- 1.28 3. Bunkie board vs low profile box spring
To support Home & Garden Authority, we earn a commission if you purchase by clicking a link listed below at no additional cost to you. This doesn’t influence or sway our opinions in any way. We believe in complete transparency so you can make the most informed choices. Read more here.
Editor’s Note: The best thin low profile box spring of 2018 is the Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats on Amazon. It’s priced equally (if not better) than standard height box springs, and it gives you so much more versatility in arranging your bed height how you want. It fits all standard bed frames, has incredibly sturdy wood slat supports (works with spring, foam or latex), and works best with higher profile premium beds that need a shorter foundational support.
Best Thin Low Profile Box Springs (by size & height)
Box springs are an essential part of any mattress support system. Box springs in 2018 don’t actually have springs in them like old-school versions. Modern boxsprings are usually made of metal, wood, or steel. They’re sturdy, offer uniform support, and create a flat, firm structure for your mattress to lay on.
The problem? Some people don’t need to add much height to their bed setup. Enter the low profile thin box spring. One of the best modern improvements to box springs have been their low profile nature. Thin box springs in 2018 allow you to customize the height of your bed setup without sacrificing support in any way.
Modern box springs come in many sizes & shapes, including low profile heights. Since standard box springs are 7″+ in height, thin box springs are a little shorter; generally ranging in height from 4″ – 6″.
Our criteria: Our team has scoured the internet to find the best low-profile box springs by height & size. We listed the absolute best box springs. Don’t worry, we accounted for quality & value from materials, features, and overall support.
Best Low Profile Box Spring By Height
Low profile box springs range from 4 – 6 inches. While no low profile box spring exists under 4 inches, there are still 2 & 3 inch bunkie board options that act like “low” low profile box springs.
How we chose the best box springs by height – How we choose the best low profile box spring by height (factor in quality price, etc – do a brief explanation).
1. Best Thin Low Profile 2 Inch Box Spring
Continental Sleep Fully Assembled 2 Inch Foundation Bunkie Board
Verdict: Continental Sleep’s fully assembled 2″ foundation bunkie board is a great option for people looking for additional hidden support for their mattress. While their idea is great, execution lacks in a few areas. Price to value ratio is not as good as similar options for low profile box springs. The good news? We still believe it’s a great option that gets the job done for people that need a short, 2 inch box spring foundation-like support for their mattress.
2. Best Thin Low Profile 3 Inch Box Spring
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Quick Lock Smart Box Spring
3. Best Thin Low Profile 4 Inch Box Spring
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats
Verdict: There’s a lot to like with Zinus’s 4 inch metal & wood box spring. For one, they use a combination of metal and wood slats to create an ultra-secure structure. Most box springs either use wood or metal, not both. Combining both allows for a sturdy steel structure & flexibility and durability of wood slats.
Zinus’s 4″ metal box spring with wood slats does 2 other things right. They use foam padded tape along their steel frame. Also, they line their wooden slats with non-slip tape – this prevents the mattress from moving & sliding. Both features make a huge difference.
4. Best Thin Low Profile 5 Inch Box Spring
Zinus 5 Inch Low Profile Smart Box Spring
Verdict: Zinus’s 5 inch low profile box spring is a good low profile option for people looking to keep a low overall mattress & box spring setup. Packaging is convenient and compact, and setup is relatively quick & painless. A few verified reviews complaining about difficulty with setup, but this is a small number compared to all other reviews mentioning fast assembly.
Like all Zinus box springs, their 5″ low profile height has foam padded tape added to the steel frame. This process makes a huge difference in keeping the frame noise-free.
We strongly recommend considering Zinus’s 5″ low profile smart box spring if you need a low-cost box-spring option that maintains great quality & longevity.
5. Best Thin Low Profile 6 Inch Box Spring
Zinus Modern Studio 6 Inch Platforma Low Profile Boxspring Optional
Verdict: 6 inch box springs are very rare. So rare that there’s only 1 other product on Amazon that sells a 6 inch box spring (it’s out of stock). The result? Our best 6 inch box spring pick is Zinus’s Modern Studio 6 inch platforma low profile bed frame. This is a beautiful low profile foundation that’s simple in design and effective in construction.
Like Zinus’s other box springs, Zinus Modern Studio uses a strong steel frame with wood slats in between to prevent sagging. One small complaint we noticed is slat space is 3.5″ apart, something that affects a small number of people that have unusually heavy mattresses. Slat spacing over 3″ for heavy mattresses may compromise long-term support. Also, Zinus’s 6″ platforma slats are .5″ thick. Not a deal breaker for most, but we recommend checking with your mattress manufacturer to make sure specs are adequate.
Best Low Profile Box Spring - By Size
Our previous section reviewed the best low profile box spring by height. Our goal now? To lay out which box spring is best by size. From Twin all the way to Cal King.
Our criteria: We spent hours researching to find the best low profile box spring. Our criteria factors in overall quality, price-to-value ratio, total price, and overall consumer feedback. Understanding what real customers like & dislike is one of the best ways to determine if it’s worth a buy.
Continue reading to find out which size low profile box spring will work best for you.
6. Best Thin Low Profile Twin Box Spring
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats, Twin
Verdict: Zinus’s BiFold box spring is the best low profile twin box spring on our list. Price, value, and features make this an easy choice. It’s folding feature make it a very convenient alternative to low profile box springs that don’t have a folding feature. The best part? There’s no assembly required. Unfold it, zip the cover up, and you’re set. Zinus’s folding feature allows for easy maneuvering in the event of a move. It’s 4″ height makes it a perfect addition to a taller mattress setup.
7. Best Thin Low Profile Box Spring
Zinus 5 Inch Low Profile Smart Box Spring, Full
Verdict: Zinus’s 5 inch low profile box spring is essentially the same foundation in our best 5 inch box spring overview. It’s a fantastic low profile option for individuals that need a low overall mattress & box spring set. It’s convenient, compact, reduces noise & squeaks. The best part? It’s priced almost 3x lower than similar $300+ options out there.
We strongly recommend considering Zinus’s 5″ low profile smart box spring if you need a low-cost option that maintains good quality that will easily support your new or existing mattress.
8. Best Thin Low Profile Queen Box Spring
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats, Queen
Verdict: Our best low profile Queen box spring is our same pick for best 4 inch box spring. There’s a lot of overlap when picking the best box springs by size & height. The reason? There aren’t many low cost, ultra-value options in the low profile box spring space. The good news is we find those low cost budget options every time.
Like we mentioned in our best 4″ box spring overview, Zinus’s 4 inch metal box spring with slats does a really good job at several things. They combine a metal support system with wood slats to create a very sturdy structure. Sturdiness of steel combined with flexibility of wood make this a really smart choice for most people looking for a lower profile option with a taller mattress.
9. Best Thin Low Profile Split Queen Box Spring
Zinus 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring, Queen
Verdict: Contentineal’s split Queen box spring is a really good choice for people that need 2 separate foundation pieces in a Queen size. It allows for easier maneuverability in the event of a move or change of rooms, and it’s 5″ low profile height makes it a good combination with modern, higher-profile mattress.
Don’t let the price tag dissuade you from checking it out. We strongly recommend checking it out – this makes our best Queen split box spring for a reason. For the price & quality, you’ll be hard-pressed finding a better option.
10. Best Thin Low Profile Box Spring King
Zinus 5 Inch Low Profile Smart Box Spring, King
Verdict: Zinus’s 5 inch low profile King size box spring is essentially the same foundation as our best Full size box spring, but in a King size . The great thing about King size box springs? They’re all split! The result is much freer movement in the event of a move or room change. It’s perfect for setups that require a shorter box spring froma higher mattress.
Zinus’s 5 inch low profile box spring does everything you expect from a good box spring. Noise & squeak reduction and sturdy support with a strong steel structure. Our favorite part? It’s under $100! You don’t find King box springs under $100 often. Most King box springs range from $300 – $500+.
Check out Zinus’s 5 inch low profile King size here.
1. What is a low profile box spring ?
Same great support – lower height
Low profile box springs are great alternatives to regular box springs. They’re shorter and cheaper on average. The shorter height gives people the option to add a few extra inches to their overall bed setup. They’re great alternatives to regular height box springs. Modern mattresses tend to be thicker, sometimes as high as 16 inches. The result? Low profile box springs (measuring between 4 – 6 inches in height) serve the same great purpose as regular & standard height box springs (measuring 7 – 9 inches in height) without an overall increase in total height.
2. What is the best low profile box spring height ?
Completely preferential – no support difference
The best low profile box spring completely depends on how high you want your mattress & box spring setup. Some people love super-tall mattress & foundation heights – other people need a short setup.
Some factors that affect what you consider the best low profile box spring height are:
- your height
- your partner’s height
- overall room aesthetic (end-table heights, TV height, overall room dimensions, etc)
- easier access for pets to climb into bed
3. Bunkie board vs low profile box spring
Bunkie boards are cheap alternatives while low profile box springs are sturdier long-term support
Bunkie boards and low profile box springs are surprisingly similar. Both act as solid bases of support for your mattress.
There are several differences, however. There’s pros & cons to each option.
Low profile box springs are best if:
- You want longer lasting support for a mattress you plan on keeping for 8-10+ years
- You want a higher total height with a low profile box spring that can’t be achieved with only 1-2″ from a bunkie board
- You like the visual appeal of a low profile box spring and want your mattress to support to look more like a piece of furniture, not just a hidden flat board
Bunkie boards are best if:
- You’re looking for a short term solution for mattress support to postpone until you purchase a sturdier support – like a low profile box spring
- A low profile box spring is too high for your overall setup, and need a small height bump from your support system
- You need a lower cost alternative. If you choose to go the bunkie board route, we recommend visiting home depot and having them custom-cut a 1-2″ piece of flat plywood to your mattress dimensions